(Number 2 in a Series)
What: WKRP in Cincinnati
Category: TV Series
Dates(s): 1978 – 1982
SJWs offend if aired today:
Others possibly offended if aired today:
- Radio Executives (if they had souls)
WKRP in Cincinnati was a fun show that ran for 4 years in the late 70s and early 80s. Featuring a cast of misfits running a radio station, the show was quite funny most of the time. Even when taking on social or political issues (the Cincinnati “Who concert tragedy” of 1979, the “Moral Majority”, and the Soviet Union through the eyes of a wannabe defector among many others), the show did not preach. It poked fun at the radio business while playing some of the coolest music ever to be heard on a TV series. Indeed, the band Blondie even presented the show’s producers with a gold record for their playing of the song “Heart of Glass” before it became a hit.
The show would run afoul of today’s screeching harpies that, ironically, perfectly mimic the role of Dr. Bob Halyers, the Jerry Falwell-like preacher who wants to change the station’s “offensive” playlist. Among its unforgivable sins:
- A serial womanizer (Herb Tarlek) that is always hitting on the station’s hot secretary
- Les Nessman, the classic newsman who referred to professional golfer Chi-Chi Rodriguez as “Chy-Chy Rod-ri-gweez”. He also has a hilarious segment talking to a black gang leader who is there to meet with Venus. Hilarious then; cause for termination today.
- Les also threatens to jump off the balcony in Season 1 after being accused of being gay. That’s cause for an LGBTQ sponsor boycott today.
- Finally, PETA would be deeply offended by the classic episode “Turkeys Away”, when the station decided to drop live Thanksgiving turkeys from a helicopter.
(A word on the Radio Executives: No group in business has sold its soul to the extent these cretins have done. They have sucked the life out of every terrestrial market and replaced it with generic, pre-packaged crap. Neither Johnny Fever nor Venus Flytrap would make it. Nor would Steve Cooper, Steve Kelley, Garth Hemp, or many of the others I still remember from FM radio back in the day. Sadly, we’ll never get those days back. They have completely destroyed the industry.)
WKRP could possibly air today if it got rid of Les and Herb. After all, they were the serial SJW-value offenders. The show, of course, would then lose a large amount of humor. Come to think of it, that’s par for the course with the SJW crowd. But in 1978, no one would have watched this show if Les and Herb were replaced by a dour bespectacled lesbian and a vegetarian cycling Nazi. Humorlessness, alas, is a nonstarter in any era.
PETA would NOT be amused….